Using Blogs to Meet Learning Standards

Salvete omnes! (Welcome everyone!) In the ever-changing world of technology, as educators we often find ourselves falling into two roles: one as the teacher and another as the student. And that’s okay! As a former hip, cool youngster, I was once in the loop with all the new phone apps and advanced technical gadgets and doodads. But now as I cross the threshold into adulthood I find more often than not that I need to call my IT department, (AKA my fiance), to help me figure out how to use certain computer programs. But I’m always excited to learn because new technology, or even finding new uses for present technology, means a new opportunity to present information to my students that will help them succeed in my classroom and beyond.

The first online platform that I have often overlooked when planning a lesson is blogging. I’ve always thought of blogging solely as a personal online journal/diary that is updated regularly. However, after some reading and research I have come to see that blogging can serve multiple purposes and a few of those can even be academic. For this post I will be looking at a few possible ways to incorporate blogs into a beginner’s Latin class.

When I first began studying Latin during my undergraduate career, most of my courses were very grammar and vocabulary heavy with very little emphasis on Roman history. At the time this was okay because I was majoring in Classics and all my other courses focused on the history and archaeology of Rome. However, I was surprised to learn that many of my peers that studied Latin throughout high school also learned Latin in a similar way. (Disclaimer: I now realize that not all Latin teachers or professors focus solely on grammar but this was how I originally viewed Latin classes.). So because of this I always make sure to incorporate some aspect of Roman history or culture as the foundation of my lesson and build grammar activities to compliment them. Similar to how in a French or Spanish classroom you learn about the culture in addition to the language.

With this bit of background in mind, one way I could use blogging in a beginner’s Latin class could be as a follow-up activity or homework assignment. Imagine having just completed a lesson on Roman holidays and the blog assignment is a compare-and-contrast activity where students choose two holidays: one from antiquity and one modern example (for example the Saturnalia and Christmas). Once posted on our class blog, students would be encouraged to read each other’s posts to learn more about each holidays. Then throughout the year when each Roman holiday comes around on the class calendar we can refer back to the previous blog post as a reference point for class activities or discussions.  This activity would fall under performance indicator - LOTE.LA.2.1.A.A: Students demonstrate knowledge of some aspects of Greco-Roman culture and selected facts of daily life, myths, history, and architecture.

Another activity along the sames lines would be to ask students to find Ancient Roman influences that can still be seen today through books, architecture, movies and TV, and to post a short writing assignment about it on the class blog. This activity incorporates performance indicator - LOTE.LA.2.1.A.A: Students demonstrate knowledge of some aspects of Greco-Roman culture and selected facts of daily life, myths, history, and architecture. And, performance indicator - LOTE.LA.2.1.A.B: Students recognize manifestations of antiquity in the modern world.

Along more grammatical lines a class blog assignment could ask students to translate simple English sentences into Latin based on known vocabulary. Asking students to compose a Latin sentence via a blog post would allow them to improve and broaden their understanding of Latin word order and syntax. Also with the ability to comment on each other’s posts, students would be encouraged to reach out with questions on their peers’ posts asking why they chose to translate the sentence or a word in a certain way. Students could also ask questions in general about topics or certain grammar points discussed in class that they did not understand. As a safeguard, I would check on all student blog posts and comments to make sure that there wasn’t any misinformation accidentally being spread around. This activity would demonstrate performance indicator - LOTE.LA.1.1.A.B: Students write simple responses to oral, visual, or written stimuli. And, performance indicator - LOTE.LA.1.1.A.C: Students demonstrate an awareness of vocabulary, grammar, derivation, and word structure of Latin. 

Blogging is an excellent way to incorporate technology into a lesson and has the potential to become a great educational tool in the LOTE classroom.

Comments

  1. I think these are great ways to incorporate blogging into a Latin classroom and I just may steal the one about comparing Saturnalia and Christmas. I always do a comparison in class and am looking for new ways to jazz up the lesson. Our in-house system at my school, Schoology, has a function which allows for blogging so I just may add this to it. There is no end to the ways we can share and learn from each other no matter how long we have been teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Brittany!
    I just want to start out my comment by saying that I really like your 'batcat' profile picture.

    Whenever I thought of blogs, I had the same concept as you had. I thought that blogs were just a kind of online personal diary/ journal which English majors or romantics were interested in keeping. I never thought about them playing any educational part in the classroom, but after reading the assigned articles about blogs being beneficial to students, I started to see their potential use in the classroom.

    I like the idea of teaching culture through the use of a blog for a language class. It's a way to open up a particular place or environment to your students that they don't know much about. I believe this is much easier done online than in the traditional classroom setting. It could include a virtual field-trip where every student can navigate through the many aspects of the culture you want your them to learn about, and they could write a comment expressing their opinion towards those cultural aspects or ask a question about them that you could respond to. This could be made into a simple daily assignment, so that students are learning the language in your classroom, and learning the culture of where the language comes from online outside of the classroom. I'm not sure if that is what you had in mind, but that's really an interesting idea nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what I had in mind. I think one of the biggest challenges that L2 teachers and their students face is the limited amount of class time they have for language study. I think for many students, the 45- 50 minutes they have inside the classroom is the only time throughout their entire school day to utilize their second language, besides possible homework assignments. So I agree with you and think blogging has great potential to help cultivate more authentic language study and usage outside the classroom setting.

      Delete
  3. You are right, most language teachers (not just Latin) get so focused on teaching grammar and vocabulary we forget to incorporate the fun parts of learning a language (culture, history, art, etc.) into the classroom. I like your idea of blogging for culture. Not to mention the limitless mulit-media options available on a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brittany,
    Thanks for bringing up such insightful ideas about how can blogs be used in language learning classrooms. Though I haven't thought of using blogs on practicing their translation, I believe it would be more interesting and engaging for students to do their translating practice on blogs than on papers. It would definitely be a good way to try when I teach student in my future classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed reading your post. The post was detailed. I like your idea of doing a comparison post and then have all the student read each other posts. Much like we are doing with this exercise.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Technology TakeOVER!!!

Postcards of the 21st Century